Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Upon being published, however humbly...

My poem, This Was Once a Love Song, was selected for publication by PoetsOnline for July 2009.

It has been a little while since I've seen something I wrote published. (This is besides here on this Blog, of course, which doesn't count since it is self-publication in its purest form!)

I had forgotten what a strange mix of emotions it stirs... I feel happy and proud, but intermingled with a profound humility and feeling of diffidence, almost embarrassment. It is exciting and at the same time induces a sort of shyness.

I think I feel vulnerable... exposed... like my emotions are out there for all the world to see, and possibly misinterpret or misunderstand.

It's probably just my own baggage. I have a thing with being misunderstood. Not feeling misunderstood, mind you, but actually being misunderstood. It goes hand-in-hand with being me.

I am pleased, I think, to have taken a stand for marriage, in all its rawness.

...for faithfulness, with all its attendant blessings and burdens.

...for a real definition for and understanding of love.

To read it - or some of the other offerings for the This Was Once prompt - online, see the July 2009 archives of PoetsOnline.

No comments: