Sunday, May 11, 2008

Meus Decorus Matris

Proverbs 31:28 says, "Her children will arise and call her blessed."

I remember thinking early on in my life as a mother that this is a highly unlikely scenario. First of all, I am very far from the noble woman depicted in the 31st chapter of Proverbs. I am even further from the perfect mother! But beyond that - beyond a consideration of whether or not I could be considered "worthy" of such blessing - I have assumed that this would never happen to me. I don't know why... I guess it just doesn't seem very much like most children I know, who - even if they feel these things - tend to get shy and silly when they have to express them.

This morning I was proven wrong.

This Mother's Day morning I was awakened to see a piece of paper with the words "STAY IN BED" being taped to the wall next to my bed. As I lay there in the semi-darkness of my comfortable bedroom, I imagined what might be coming. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined what did come.

Breakfast in bed. Handcrafted artwork. Words of poetry. Beautiful homemade cards filled with beautiful messages of love and appreciation. It was overwhelming!











Because they had bought me a beautiful commemorative pottery pitcher from Blue Ridge Mountain Pottery on the way home from our camping trip (I'm a sucker for handmade pottery!), they had been instructed not to buy me anything else. And so they had made me these great cards. What mother wouldn't rather have this than anything else in the world?! (The insides of the cards, and the loving messages contained therein, are for my eyes only! ;)

The one purchase delivered this morning was made by the father (to get around the "kids, don't buy me anything else for Sunday" rule, I assume) and it was a potted purple passion flower for our garden. Over the past few weeks, I have been admiring the beautiful purple flowers that are on vines on peoples' mailboxes at this time of year... wondering aloud what they were called, and expressing amazement that God made something so beautiful. The plants themselves look almost fake, the blossoms are so vibrantly colored. Anyway, my sweet family decided we needed one, since I like them so much. What a sweet, special memory! In addition to the trees planted when each of them was born, I have a growing collection of "memory plants" adorning my yard... this newest addition will forever remind me - when it blooms each spring - of being hailed as "meus decorus matris."

What an honor, what a privilege motherhood is!

No comments: