Tuesday, April 29, 2008

"Our Booth"

Today, my son and I had a mother/son lunch together. The topics of conversation? Among other things: the Rebelution website and blog, modesty, dating, his thoughts about going overseas for cross-cultural missions work, and his general impressions about life as a middle school boy in the year 2008.

It was delightful. I am often so delightfully surprised, especially when I get to spend some social "down time" with one of my kids, at how enjoyable they are. They are just so engaging, and mature, and generally interested and lively and profound... and I am extremely humbled. As my missionary friend Karen said of her own children, "I was nothing like they are when I was their ages." And it is true for me, too. By the time I was in my teens, I was very invested in caring deeply about what my peers thought of me, above all else.

I do believe that it is part of the blessing of homeschooling that kids are freed from the oppressive pressure to conform to immature, ungodly, foolish standards just to "fit in" and "be cool." They actually are able to stand outside of them, as we adults are, and see them for what they are.

I'm so grateful and thankful to the Lord for allowing us the blessing of this lifestyle. It is unspeakably wonderful.

Especially over ice-cold salad and warm soup and breadsticks at Olive Garden, seated by happenstance in the same place as last month, in what your son referred to as "our booth, Mom."

Indelible memories for sale... $5.95, all-you-can-eat.

No comments: