Monday, January 28, 2013

"A word fitly spoken..."

I'm here at the local Chick-fil-A restaurant, waiting to pick up one of my children.  I'm struck by how lovely this particular fast food place is.  When I ordered my food, the cute young woman behind the counter asked, "How may I serve you?"

(How often do I think in terms of serving?)

How often does the average teen employee think in terms of serving?!

She offered to to have the food sent to my table.  When it was, and I thanked the young man who brought it, he happily responded with, "My pleasure!"

And you know what?  I believed him.  Not because he is forced to say that phrase--which I know for a fact that he is--but because I believe his heart attitude has been changed, just a little bit, by having been forced to say that phrase.

Every workday.  For several hours. 

"How may I serve you?"

"My pleasure."

I believe this sort of thing changes a person.  There is power in our words...power to change our heart attitudes.  "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver," (Proverbs 25:11, KJV).

Or maybe it could just as easily have said, "...is like a vase of real flowers on the table of a fast food restaurant."  So lovely... in every way!


 


No comments: