Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Mischief Managed

I just got home from a whirlwind of trips and travels, only to find three different emails from three different organizations alerting me to a password compromise I have been involved in.  That's too many for comfort.  Apparently malicious dudes are getting better and better at their mischief.  So, what am I--a little computer cretin who can't compete with such evil--going to do about it?

Well, I've started with this website, "How Secure Is My Password?"  It promises to test the security of your proposed password, giving you peace of mind as you make your selection away from something like "BobFacebook." (That takes a mere 169 days to crack. And once they do, other passwords that follow the pattern like "BobLinkedIn" and "BobGmail," likely take 1.69 seconds!)

My results?  "It would take a desktop PC about 778 thousand years to crack your password."

That'll do.

No comments: