Monday, May 21, 2012

Gone From Our Sight

I am standing upon the seashore.  A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.  She is an object of beauty and strength.  I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"

"Gone where?"

Gone from my sight.  That is all.  She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and she is just as able to bear the load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her.  And just at that moment when someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"  There are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"

And that is dying.                                                                           - Henry Van Dyke



Tiiu Muursepp Sitterding
January 11, 1939 - May 21, 2012

3 comments:

ChrisChristineJosh said...

Oh, those words are so poignant. Really beautiful. I cry for the hole that is left in your lives but am so thankful she will be with the Lord forever. No more pain or tears. Love all of you guys. ~Christine

iivo said...

Thank you for walking through this with me. Your gift of capturing times, thoughts, is a blessing. Thank you for serving me consistently and well. I love you!

Jan Nygaard said...

I am praying for your family during this time. I know you were all so loved by her. May God continue to use this to bring Him glory. May God comfort you during this time. We love you.